Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
North Platte fire marshal: Duplex fire apparently resulted from resident forgetting to turn off stove before falling asleep

North Platte fire marshal: Duplex fire apparently resulted from resident forgetting to turn off stove before falling asleep

{{featured_button_text}}
Local News

A resident of a duplex in the 2100 block of West A Street apparently fell asleep after forgetting to turn off a burner on the stove, starting a fire late Monday.

The man was transported to Great Plains Health with what appeared to be smoke inhalation, North Platte Fire Marshal George Lewis said.

“The fire wasn’t bad, but the (firefighters) did a heck of a save on the victim,” Lewis said. “As far as we know, he is in the ICU.”

Lewis said the fire was accidental.

“It produced pretty heavy smoke and heat,” Lewis said. “Firefighters found him in his bed.”

The call came in about 9:40 p.m. and fire personnel were on scene until about 1 a.m.

Lewis said there was some fire damage to the cabinets.

“The firefighters had to tear down some of the ceiling in the kitchen to make sure it hadn’t spread into the attic,” Lewis said.

No damage was reported to the other half of the duplex, Lewis said.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Morgan Holen, Miss Omaha, was selected to represent the state as the 2021 Miss Nebraska on Saturday night at the North Platte High School Performing Arts Center. Jamie Rose Chen, Miss Scotts Bluff County Outstanding Teen, will wear the Miss Nebraska's Outstanding Teen crown for the next year.

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News